1/27/08

Strobe Lights and Writers


Currently Listening To...
Earth, Wind and Fire

Alright, so Saturday night did not end up being crazy. Friday, however, is story-worthy on a couple levels.

So we went to our friends' apartment because it is right next to this fraternity on campus and they were having some big party. Mind you, we haven't gone to a frat party in about a year or so, mostly because after freshman year they are dubbed as pretty lame. Unless you belong to a sorority and want to go to these parties to bone other guys besides your boyfriend, the novelty wears off pretty soon. The stereotype usually fits here at "UCC"; a bunch of beer-bellied dudes wearing some costume to fit the party theme are chugging their beers in the middle of the dance floor while each one has some scantily-clad chick grinding up on their nuts to techno beats and R&B re-mixes.

We decided that if we were wasted enough, this party could actually be really entertaining.

So I had a couple beers in me, and my friend, lets call him "Sam" hands me a cookie and tells me its an edible. He then told me he hasn't tried any yet, and that he just made them, but that he thinks they are pretty weak.

I think you know where this story is going.

So, the beauty of this anonymous blog is that I can openly discuss my partying habits without fear of discovery. I have never done a seriously hard drug, but I am a relatively recreational weed smoker. I would say I smoke once or twice every weekend pretty regularly. Definitely no pot head. (I do, though, own a little pink bong and we named it "Carrie Bradshaw". I know. Amazing.) So I have tried the edible once or twice before and have only had good experiences, (read: amazing senior class trip to Disneyland...Indiana Jones when you are high is super.) Anyway, so I was pretty sure this was a good idea. So me and my roommate, "Jessie", each have a little cookie and we all head to this frat party.

It was 80's exercise video themed (I know...), so everyone was wearing tiny shorts and headbands except for a few girls on the dance floor who were dressed in leopard print, bright pink and gold (depending on the girl).

So a group of about 6 of us were there, on the dance floor, and it was an amazing time. We just danced the night away. But THEN, the story turns a little sour at this point. The friggin' DJ turns on a strobe.

Cue the trip-out.

After about 10 straight minutes of strobe, Jessie and I turn to each other and give each other a look. The cookies have kicked in. We excuse ourselves for a couple minutes (although I really don't think anyone knew what we were saying since we were dancing right next to the speakers) and went outside to get a breather. I don't know about Jessie, but my experience was that I couldn't concentrate on a single thing for more then 3 seconds so I was unable to carry on conversations with anyone. I won't go into more details about this trip but it was kind of intense for an edible. When we were outside Jessie and I were fascinated with the fact that we couldn't hear anything and started shouting at each other, only to be immediately ridiculed by some guys nearby. Who knows what else happened out there since I don't remember. I don't wanna remember since all I recall is being made fun of. The dance floor started looking good again at that point. No conversation necessary.

We go back and our friend Alyssa was dancing with our friends Chad and Sam. As soon as we walk up, 3 guys come out of nowhere and each of them grabs one of us and starts freaking with us. Great. Now if you are a girl you will understand- you cannot see who is behind you so you check out the guy's friends who are dancing with your friends to size your guy up. Alyssa had a guy with a mustache. Enough said. Jessie had a guy who was pretending to spank her ass as he danced with her from behind and would look over to my guy and wink. Oh God. So I think Alyssa sees this too, and she is notorious for her cold rejections. I am too high to deal with this whole situation so I just watch this all go down in a kind of slow-motion stupor. Alyssa abruptly turns around to face her guy, raises her hand and and does a little "Bye bye" motion. This guy gives her a "what the hell?!" look and grabs her again, only to have her gently shove him away, give the "bye bye" gesture again, and again, and again, and again, until he finally gives her the finger and storms off. My guy and Jessie's guy go after him to console him. Bros before ho's. Whew.

Can I just do a brief interjection to this story and comment on the act of dancing when extremely high and/or drunk. It might be just me, but I always have the same experience. I dance and dance for what seems like 10 minutes but is actually about an hour, non-stop. During that time I don't even think about what I'm doing, and then, BAM...I have a completely sober, and sober-ING thought: Am I a really shitty dancer? I literally just snap out of it for about long enough to truly question my dancing abilities or lack there of. It is just this brief feeling of sheer horror that I am truly awful. I begin to get self conscious but then abruptly fall back into my high/drunk state of minimal consciousness. Does that happen to anyone else? Probably just me.

Aaaaanyway..

Flash forward to about 30 minutes later. Alyssa and I are standing in the entry hallway to this fraternity, waiting for Jessie and Chad to find our one friend in the frat to hook us up with more booze. The frat had run out (as they always do). We were typical frat-party girls: sweaty, shouting and leaning up against the wall for support. All that I remember (recall my 3-second goldfish-concentration ability at this point) is Alyssa looking over my shoulder at a girl in a leopard print dress (which we knew to be "Anna"- a Kappa Kappa Gamma who cakes on (and I mean CAKES on) the makeup and likes to get drunk, fuck guys, and pick fights). Then I remember Alyssa turning to me, her eyes only 2/3 of the way open and saying, "...blah blah blah why would he even hook up with a DIRTY KAPPA anyway?!!!" Oh crap. If you have ever been very very stoned then you know what it feels like to have an out-of-body experience, as if you are there in the situation but have no ability to be a part of it (due to lack of concentration and/or basic motor skills) and so you just sort of watch from "above" as shit goes down. So I stand there like a dummy and see this leopard-print hoochie (how is that even spelled?) appear in my peripheral vision and get right into Alyssa's face: "IS THERE SOME SORT OF PROBLEM OVER HERE?!" I think I might have managed to squeak out a small: "no!" but to no avail. Alyssa handles this well: "No no, not at all. I'm sorry did I say something to offend you? I apologize." This girl says something else, I can't remember, and then says: "I just feel like there is bad blood between our groups!" This snaps me into a brief moment of sobriety and I think: "Who are we, the Crypts and the Bloods?" but I return to my safe spot, floating above this whole situation as merely an observer. More talk happens an Alyssa appeases this drunk girl even though she WAS talking shit about her. I have to commend Alyssa here for handling this situation very well. This Anna chick once punched a girl in the face. That would have put an unpleasant twist on the evening.

So we eventually find our way back to our friend's apartment. I half pass out in a huge chair staring at, not watching, "Rock of Love" reruns while my friends smoke more, drink more, and try to guide Chad back home on the telephone, since he had somehow wandered off by himself in the burbs of Cowtown.

I somehow get a cab to pick us up (after giving him an incorrect address 3 times) and Jessie and I arrive home safe. We sit down and watch the final episode of Real World Sydney which was a bunch of people crying and pretending they missed each other. My still-high self found this hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing, and Jessie found my laughing hysterical, so we had a good 5 minute-long laughing fit and went to bed.

P.S- On another note, something else I found out that night was amazing. Chad, that model-faced tall guy who is super quiet yet charming, revealed to me that he wanted to be a screenwriter. He told Jessie earlier that night, before I joined them that he wanted to talk to me because he had written some stuff and wanted me to read it. So she brought it up. In response to me asking him why he JUST brought this up after weeks of knowing me, he said, "As soon as I found out you wanted to be a producer I wanted to tell you, but then I didn't know what you were like at all since we just met. So I just kind of slowly found out what kind of movies/music/books you like to make sure we are on a similar page, and I really liked what I saw, so I want you to read my stuff." OK, he's been testing me?! Scary! But hey, I passed! So he is sending me his 2 screenplays, his novel, and this journal he has of every idea he's ever had for a script. I am going to read them and hopefully like them. If I don't he said he would love to hear some ideas I have and he would gladly collaborate and write something together. I will email my contacts at "UC Cowtown" Filmmakers Society and see if they can help us get crew, cast and equipment together and make this thing actually happen. I have been DYING for some talent to come along and want to collaborate and actually make something. The film program here is brand new and filmmakers/writers are few and far between, so you couldn't understand how excited I am to try and get something off the ground. Oh, and I guess that Chad is interning this summer for David E. Kelly!!!! Dude. This guy is amazing. Could I be more excited to start this project with him? No.

No comments: