1/12/08

SoHority chicks........have nothing to do with this post

My friend just totally cracked me up with that clever little phrase. We will call this friend, "Alyssa". Thanks Alyssa for brightening not just my day, but my blog post title as well.

So I'm sitting here listening to Jason Schwartzman's new solo music project, Coconut Records. Absolutely incredible. Here is what blows my mind: HOW CAN ONE FAMILY BE SO TALENTED. Let me count the ways: Jason Schwartzman, Francis Ford Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Robert Carmine (of Rooney) and Nicolas Cage. I mean, come on. The Hollywood Coppola family is just ridiculously blessed with talent. It's time they spread the love a bit.

On a completely different note...

One thing that I will give to Myspace (I usually loathe myspace and its crazily disorganized antics, with 8 year olds and their neon purple backgrounds and flashing multi-colored hearts,) is that the "Currently Listening" feature is pretty sweet. I will give them that. I wish this thingie had that. Maybe I will start just writing that into the beginning of my blogs. HAH. Take that Tom.

So here is a little anecdote from the other day:
So I am sitting in my Italian class and before the professor comes in (hes religiously late) these girls are discussing movies. Now, little do they know who they are in the room with; I am a notorious movie snob, but not just a snob, I am also super opinionated and get frustrated when people see differently. Now, I see the obnoxiousness in this, and I also see the contradiction: one of the reasons why I love movies so much is their ability to tie people together in ways that other mediums only attempt in vain. But still. It is so hard for me to sit in a room with a group of people who talk about "that gay cowboy movie" without having an aneurysm. (You know what movie I'm talking about- I mean give the goddamn art some credit! That label it has been given is so belittling. I could go on....but I'll spare you the rant.) Anyway, I digress. So these girls are chatting about recent films. The two that they bring up are Sweeny Todd and Juno. Now, one girl says "I saw the musical and it was sooooo much better. They cut out like 5 songs in the movie! Terrible!" Now, me, who can't keep her big mouth shut, lean over and say, with a sweet smile: "Well, I guess it would be a little difficult to have a 3.5 hour movie. You know? Movies don't have intermissions. Gotta cut it down somewhere!" So this girl looks at me like "Who the hell are you?" but says "Yeah. I guess. Whatever." Victory. So then this other girl says: "Well OK that Juno movie? I mean, so many Hollywood movies these days are against abortion! Knocked Up?! She doesn't even consider an abortion! And Juno?! Just the mere mention of fingernails makes her turn around and have the baby!" My God. So of course, after another girl does a shitty job of trying to explain why this is a ludicrous statement, I pipe in again: "Well with Knocked Up, I mean...you wouldn't have a movie if she didn't decide to keep the baby. I mean, they would meet, and then have sex, then get pregnant, and have an abortion. No conflict there. No movie. And with Juno, same exact thing." Luckily all the girls around me pipe in and support this claim, but that one girl just STARES me down. I mean trust me, I am pro-choice just as much as the next Californian, but I mean, give Hollywood some credit. Sometimes you have to set aside the reality in order to get a good story. I'm sorry, but what idiots.

So, apart from making enemies in Italian class, I have been trying to get applications done. And failing. Seriously, I don't know about you guys, but I find that the more responsibilities I have, the less responsible I become. Example #1: I am going to an ice hockey party tomorrow night instead of staying home and reading like I should be. Glorious.

Peace out homes. Time for some shuteye.

No comments: