1/24/08

Gosh Darn


Currently Listening To...
Wincing the Night Away, The Shins

So in women's studies class today we were on the topic of "culturally constructed norms" in regards to women. One girl raised her hand and said that she thought it was terrible when girl's cursed. She said that she found it immature and off-putting when a girl did it, but not when a guy did it. Most of the class nodded in agreement.

Is this true? I mean, I am no Tony Soprano but I do my fare share of swearing. Aside from being a girl, does it show a lack of imagination for any writer to swear? Is it a turn-off? I actually swear way more in my real life than I do in my blogging here, and I actually try and tone it down here. It is surely a bad habit, but is it really a sign of immaturity or lack of imagination?

Thoughts?

And on another note: my Saturday night is going to be ridiculous. Stay tuned for what is sure to be a more than hilarious recap.


2 comments:

Graham Ettridge said...

A very interesting topic. Speaking from a male point of view, I think we are now in a generation where swearing is part of everyday language in most places - and in my opinion, it is no less or more attractive for a girl to swear as it is for a guy. It isn't a sign of immaturity or lack of imagination, but rather it is a sign of the world we live in.

With regards to swearing on a blog - it all really comes down to context. Swearing regularly in a post is not very comfortable for a reader, but used when expressing a specific emotion or feeling, it can be perfectly acceptable.

I think the main thing to consider is what kind of impression do you want to leave in the reader's mind? A writer's blog should be a reflection of their personality and character.

As to whether I swear or not? I have a job that requires me to set a very good example to others. So I have to be very careful with my "P's & Q's". Because of this I very rarely swear (inside or outside work) and even when I do it is rarely anything worse than "bloody" or "bugger".

If you are one of those people who swear but would rather not, then challenge yourself with a swear-box, where you have to put a Pound/Dollar in it every time you swear....lol!

I apologise for rambling on so much, but found your post and question most thought provoking and enjoyable.

Have a great week!

Warmest regards, Graham !!!

marc aurel said...

I was brought up in such a way that I swore very little. Now I say "shit" a lot. But all those other words are there, in reserve as it were, for when I really need them.
My favourite swear expression I heard was from an exasperated teacher shouting,"God's Teeth, Winterbottom".