2/4/08

I wish I was a college dropout

Seriously.

I am allowed to write angry stuff about college professors because my mom is one of them and she would totally agree with me on about 99% of the stuff I have to say.

Qualm #1:
They make their exams absolutely impossible, even to the most avid studier, and then curve them all the way to hell and back. For example, I just looked at my online grade book for my communications course and it says that my raw score on the midterm was a 66% and my curved grade a 81% WHY NOT JUST MAKE THE EXAM SLIGHTLY EASIER. If their goal was to give students aneurysms during exams then they succeeded. College professors love to make their classes "challenging" in order to curve the grades to however they see fit. How about you just not test us at all and randomly hand out grades to us on a bell curve, since that is basically what you do anyway. Save us all the trouble.

Qualm #2:
They pontificate about the importance of asking questions in class, and then glare and/or roll their eyes when a student actually asks a question. Often these questions are valid and very much related to the topic at hand. I understand the eye-rolling when the over-achiever wants to know the color of Napoleon's eye's for his notes, but come ON. Don't be a hippocrite.

Qualm #3:
LEARN HOW TO DRESS YOURSELF. Seriously. I am not a shallow person, but I do have to stare at you for an hour and fifty minutes every other day. Try to put in SOME effort for God's sake. My mom, though she is sixty, looks like a million bucks every day when she goes to work and actually puts in minimal effort. This is partially due to the fact that she is naturally beautiful, but it is also just common sense. Hair brushes are for hair. Tooth brushes are for teeth. Orange and lime are not complimentary colors. You get the idea.

Though college is an incredible privilege that I have, it is also, in it's own way, a joke. Universities are giant mills that churn out average Jo's, and these Jo's are merely going through the motions of scholardom just to reach that glorious day when they are handed a diploma and they can high-tail it out of college. Or, for the less-motivated Jo, a week in college is merely a distraction from heavy drinking on weekends....over and over and over until they finally reach the end and realize that their drinking habit is no longer normal; it is alcoholism.

This little bout of negativity was brought to you by,



P.S- Why can't all college professors be like Indy?

1 comment:

Graham Ettridge said...

LOL! This is so true. I used to have a mathematics lecturer who wore rubber wellington boots and a white lab coat! The worst thing was that by the time it was Friday, you could tell what he had for lunch on Monday, Tuesday, Wendesday and Thursday (there were bits of it all down the front of his lab coat)...YUK! I guess that is why he wore the boots...LOL!.